Friday 15 February 2013

SUNDAY MBA...CHILD OF DESTINY





Super Eagles star, Sunday Mba, says winning the 2013 AFCON trophy has made him a better player. In this interview with BAMIDELE BOLUWAJI the Warri Wolves player says he is looking forward to helping Nigeria qualify for the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil


Let me start by congratulating you on your achievement of the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations?

Thanks you bros.

As a winner of the Africa Cup of Nations gold medal, how do you feel?

I feel really happy and excited because I did not expect that it could happen to me at this stage of my career. Even when we qualified for the final, I was not sure we could achieve that objective in this edition but I thank the Almighty God for making it possible.

Aside winning the tournament, you played a huge role in the final match, what was the secret?

The secret is God because each time I was called upon to play, I would always pray to God to help me but scoring was the least I expected could come from me, not to even mention the winning goal, I really feel excited and I am happy to be a hero today.

What does that goal against Burkina Faso in the final of the AFCON mean to you?

It means a lot to me but I believe I can do more. When I watched it on television after the match, I did not believe I could score such goal but I believe it was God that made it possible for me.

Playing against big boys like Drogba, Kone, Pitriopa and co at the Nations Cup, how do you feel and what was the experience like?

Honestly, I don’t know what to say because these are players with enough experience in the game of football and I never imagined playing against them not to talk of a dream to be at the Nations Cup with them, but destiny has made it possible and more so, I have to thank Nigerians, particularly coach Stephen Keshi, for the confidence he has in me and other players. Playing against such great players is what any player needs to get better in his career because as I am now, I am not afraid of any player again and it has really helped me to build my confidence.

You have been rewarded with N5 million, a plot of land and national honour, what would you do with this money?

Let me start by thanking Mr. President for appreciating our efforts at the AFCON. Definitely, this AFCON will change the fortune of many families and for me, I look forward to investing it but I cannot say for now the kind of investment I am going to embark on. I am also happy to own a plot of land in Abuja and I pray to God to help me to build it.

Now, the Nations Cup is over, what are you looking forward to in your career?

I ‘m looking forward to better future, many interests are coming in but I have a manager who can handle that. All I just need now is to remain focused and concentrate on how I can get better. I have not arrived yet because I believe I still have a lot to do as a player and by the grace of God, I will continue to do my best. Nigeria is my country and I am proud to be born here.

So which offer is leading among the many interests coming in?

Laughs... Let’s forget that for now but I am praying to God and hoping for a better future.

What is the experience of playing under Coach Stephen Keshi like?

It’s been wonderful and excellent. He is not just a coach but a father and brother like other Coaches on the team. He encourages players, plans with players and always believes in his players. I am really happy playing under him.

The 2014 FIFA World Cup qualifiers would soon resume, how are you looking forward to it?

We discussed it before we left South Africa and we have all resolved that we are going to do our best to ensure Nigeria take part in the tournament in Brazil. The Nations Cup has ended and I don’t know yet if I will be invited. But if I am called upon, I will definitely do my best.

But do you foresee the miracle of Nigeria winning the World Cup?

Nothing is impossible for God; if He could make it possible for us to win the Nations Cup even at the time nobody gave us any chance, He can also make the World Cup possible. I believe in this team and I strongly have faith in God but when we get to that bridge, we will see how to cross it. Qualification is our major target for now.

How did you take the news of Keshi’s resignation before he rescinded the decision?

It was a cold night in camp because it came at the time we were celebrating the AFCON trophy but thank God, he has changed his mind. For now, he is doing a good job and we should all support him.

Finally, what was on your mind at the moment you were being presented the AFCON gold medal?

I felt like crying, tears of joy because I looked at the number of people at the stadium and the calibre of personalities present. It was a great moment I will never forget in my life.

BAMIDELE BOLUWAJI 

http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/news/2013/02/mba-im-a-child-of-destiny

No comments:

Post a Comment